Friday, November 08, 2019

Peanut Balls & Rolling


I've been pulling out the massage balls and rollers to do myofascial release in order to ease out knots in the neck from poor sleeping posture over a few nights. That levator scapulae muscle is forever being irritated and inflamed.  The crazy thing is, you could injure it (get a stiff/frozen neck and shoulder) from simply carrying a heavy bag, or turning your head too rapidly. Grrrrr.

For the whole of last week, I had to lie on yoga block and balls to stretch out the strained bursa and a tendon in one rotator cuff. Luckily I didn't tear them. Because I climbed out of a narrow window to a 2.5-meter drop to the ground, and had to jump and do an awkward swing pull-up to haul myself in. Purely based on upper body strength. There was no ledge or support of any form for my feet because the glass panels extended all the way down. #winning I honestly wished I was a bona fide ninja warrior. At least I'm practicing for the zombie apocalypse, and have been doing rather spectacular 8-foot wall jumps. Crucial pull-ups in the real world are seriously draining.

Slapped on Biofreeze and laid flat on the floor to stretch it out a little to calm the initial sharp jolts of pain. There was limited mobility and I couldn't lift that arm. No strength in it either. Ugh. Luckily the injury happened at 7.30am, and there was a scheduled gyrotonic session at noon. I asked for help. Hahaha. The instructor took me through gentle movements to ease the rotator cuff. A combination of gyrotonic and pilates movements helped me heal. In two days, I had more mobility and could raise my arms, reach the shower head without grimacing too badly, and gingerly wear a sports bra. In four days, I was back at 100% strength. But I prudently laid off weights for the week.

I know many people cannot deal with gyrotonic and pilates because they find them boring and slow. But for me, I've been doing these movements and stretches for like two decades. I guarantee you that they built my core and maintained it, managed my mild scoliosis (at < 20degrees curvature, it responds best to exercise treatment), strengthened the muscles and had these muscles protect me from worse injuries. When injuries happen (and they will), I heal faster. As far possible, painkillers and surgery aren't my first options as treatment.

No comments: