Thursday, December 12, 2019

Tartiflette & Wine


The friends wanted to do a simple meal of tartiflette and wine. I blinked. Tartiflette takes hours to prep. All those potatoes to peel and slice! It's a truckload of finger-work. There I was thinking to deliveroo something or do a platter of cheese, cold cuts and rilettes. It's such a privilege when friends cook and invite us over.

The dog scored an invite too, so it made it very comfortable for us to hang out longer. The dog also scored VERY GOOD CHEESE. She now has a favorite Uncle R because he gave her slices of smoked gouda. Mmmmm. She loves cheese. She isn't lactose-intolerant, thank goodness, and can afford to pile on some weight. She doesn't take treats often, and we moderate her cheese consumption, so she was allowed cheese tonight. It was a total treat for her.

We started the evening with nibbles and delicious champagne. I could smell the delicious reblochon cheese melting over the potatoes in the oven. It was an unhurried splendid night at the hosts with plenty of delightful conversation. E was in town and it's always lovely to see her. I drank too much champagne. Oof.

The tartiflette was ridiculously tasty. The potatoes still had bite, and R made sure it was a proper gooey mess and not a sodden sad blob. He makes a fantastic rendition of the French tartiflette. The melted reblochon and lardons were so savory. I can never say no to a good version of potatoes and cheese. I had a second helping and ate a lot of it. The salad balanced out the heavy carbs. I wished I could have eaten MORE. I think R has to cook this once a year for us. MUST. Teehehehehehe. Perhaps he will if we ask him very nicely to do so. 😬

No comments: