Monday, January 06, 2020

About Malaysia’s Jaffna Tamil Community


Picked up M. Shanmughalingam’s ‘Marriage and Mutton Curry’ (2018). 15 short stories (not all interlinked) on the Jaffna Tamil community in Malaysia are compiled into this debut collection. Apparently nine stories have bene previously published, and six are new. Makes no difference to me since I haven’t read any of his works.

Better known as Dato M Shan, the author weaved tales of community bonds, stereotypes, migrant experiences, gossip, betrayal and jealousy, as well as the community’s traditions and way of life into this book. Thanks to his long and illustrious career at the Malaysian Treasury, he even managed to write about the going-ons in the Malaysian Treasury, all fictional, of course.

The word play and narrative in ‘Naming Names’ are excellent. I’m extremely tickled by how he could pen down the name ‘Kandiah’ and roll it around in a thousand different ways to identify which Kandiah one is or who this Kandiah belongs to.

The historian's alternative of, "It was Kandiah the Eighth, who had only one wife all his life; Kandiah the Ninth, who had none; and Kandiah the Fifth, who had never led his country into battle" was hardly useful as there were just too many Houses of Kandiah. 
If the historian offers no guidance in discriminating within the world of Kandiahs, the geographer fared no better. "You mean Kandiah of the Valley?" or "You must be meaning Riverside Kandiah" was just a bit closer to a solution since most of the Kandiahs were found huddled in towns, indistinguishable by contour or compass. Indeed, no academic or educator had offered an Alexandrian solution to the Gordian knot of Kandiahs. Kandiahs were both major and minor, and since there were as many in class 5D now as there had been in 5A then, ranks and levels did not advance the subject any further. 
However, these outsiders' problems were rarely understood by members of the Tribe of Kandiah themselves. 

I was quite drawn into these stories. There’s so much humor, wit and satire. It was an enjoyable read. The 81-year-old author doesn’t just have a way with words, he has excellent storytelling skills, knowing when to pause for dramatic effect, yet not write in an over-the-top style. I’m impressed that amidst the backdrop of the era and how chauvinistic and traditional communities are, the author slipped in his admiration of women and their strength, and how they hold a household and a home together. (Author interviews herehere and here.)

Some of the stories like 'His Mother's Joy''Dodol for the Doctor''The Indra Quartet' and 'Free and Freed' are like melodrama, suitable for a television series. It's all about power play among the women in the family, how they favor sons and brag about their accomplishments, how the men treated their wives and such. I rolled eyes at those. At least the book ends on a positive note (for me) with 'Rani Taxis Away'. Rani will find her own way in this world, unencumbered by the nosy gossipy 'Aunties' and neighbors, something I never appreciated either.

To call someone "Amma", or "mother", is a mark of great respect. Yet here is this older man calling me "Amma". What if I say, "I am too young to be your Amma"? He may feel that I am making fun of him. I don't want to hurt his feelings even if my Amma says he's only a taxi driver. What's wrong with that? I don't agree with her about higher and lower classes or castes.  
..................... 

I feel torn. I understand that for Amma and many in the community there are deep roots, whereas I feel like a bird, a bird that wants to fly. Besides, what proof is there that Mrs Kandiah is such a great benefactress? I fold my fingers into my palms to stop their rambling. Amma looks out of our window at our driveway. I suddenly can't bear to be in the sitting room with Amma. I understand everything she is saying, but this is not a good day for lukewarm tea and kolukattai.

No comments: