Wednesday, January 08, 2020

First Pilates Class of The Year

It felt good to begin the year with pilates classes at the gym, and importantly the one-on-one with instructor K. These classes limber up the body to face the rest of the hardcore weights and HIIT workouts. I'm not so keen on the jumping in those classes to get a cardio hit, because knees and sprains. So when the gym instructors call for 'jumping lunges', I walk them instead. I’ve also had enough of krav maga for a bit, since my shoulder is still bruised. Till my krav maga instructor gets back to town.

The stretches at home forgot to focus on thoracic mobility, so I worked on that in this first class of the year with K. She put my ribs and spine through rotational movements. Obviously these work the deep core muscles and the obliques.  By the end of the session, the abs were burning.

It's awesome to have a pilates instructor who's also an endurance athlete. She understands the body, and by now, understands how far she can push me, and what my body needs when it's uninjured. Hahaha. Now, may we both remain injury-free through the year and enjoy the benefits of a regular practice of pilates.

No comments: