Friday, May 29, 2020

Side Bends at Pilates

For the month of May, I decided to focus on working the obliques and articulating side bends, and mobilizing the hip flexors of course. Spinal rotations aren't quite about strengthening the obliques. Mine really aren't utilized very much in daily functional activities, it seems. My spine and ribs are fairly tight, so I need to coax the muscles to allow greater spinal rotation, and in doing so, I wouldn't stupidly twist my neck or shoulder if I had to suddenly whip my head around or something.

The pilates instructor was happy to oblige. She used a combination of the pilates Arc, as well as freeform movement using only body weight as leverage. For the six classes past, she put me through the whole spectrum of planks and press-up twists. OMG. Planks are one thing, but to have to articulate the side bends into plank and to do it reverse, is absolutely evil. Whoever said pilates isn't tiring should do what I had to do. For fifteen minutes, I was up on my hands and feet. I wasn't allowed to lie on the tummy or sit on the butt or come down to my knees. My sides were aching quite a fair bit after the first May session.

I didn't slack off. I practiced exactly three movements in between scheduled classes to stretch the obliques. These are the hardest muscles to strengthen since my daily movements don't seem to use it often. There's no point in doing weekly classes if I don't put in the effort to practice in between. The muscles would simply return back to their lazy old posture if I don't make a conscientious effort to correct them. I have that lazy external oblique on the right side that needs some lengthening and of course the corresponding internal oblique will need to be strengthened.

No comments: