Saturday, January 30, 2021

早市 :: 中峇鲁鱻記粥品

In the mornings, the Little Elephant Thai Bistro is closed, and the porridge stall opens. It sells excellent Cantonese style congee. With sliced chilli (seeds removed) and the usual white pepper and light soy sauce. This porridge stall used to be bigger and occupied the whole coffeeshop. But since 2018, Little Elephant Thai Bistro has taken over the unit and decorated it to their theme. The porridge stall occupies a small corner with a portable stove and such.   

Xian Ji Porridge (鱻記粥品) opens from 7am to 9am. It's a morning place. We usually end up there by about 8.45am after a run or a walk. I need to be very awake before eating breakfast. Also, my stomach cannot eat at 7am lah! If it's packed, we'll just tapau a bowl home. If we could spare the morning, we prefer to eat there, of course. Porridge eaten straight out of the steaming pot is awesome. Try to go before 9.15am. They sometimes sell out by 9am, especially during weekends. 

There isn't a drinks stall in this coffeeshop though. The porridge stall permits customers to bring in drinks from other places. They recommended us to get coffee from the yong tau foo stall at the other end of the street. I was like, eioowwww. That drinks stall's teh-c-siu-dai and kopi-o-siu-dai are yucks. Get a more palatable one from somewhere else.

This version of congee is slightly chunky. But if you stir if quickly, it can turn watery. I don't like my congee watery. So I try to be gentle and scoop it up. This way, only the last bits in the bowl turn watery. I love it that one could add fish or vegetables (water cress) to its congee. There's always the standard minced pork porridge, and one could add in raw eggs or century eggs. The man likes to add a raw egg to his bowl. I don't like eggs in my porridge, for some reason. For the fish porridge, they use ikan haruan. Which is honestly my preferred fish in congee. Not so much of ikan parang. For my standard minced meat and century egg porridge with vegetables, it's S$7 for a big bowl of happiness. 


Xian Ji Porridge 鱻记粥品
57 Eng Hoon Street
Singapore 160057
Hours: 7am to 9.30am (Closed on Mondays)

No comments: