Tuesday, April 20, 2021

淡雪いちごに恋して❣️


There're some things I can't compromise on. Say, strawberries. The super popular Japanese or Korean red strawberries or those big deep red US ones from Driscolls can't compare to the subtle flavors and the unique sweetness of the Japanese Awayukis (淡雪いちご).

Last year I didn't bother with these strawberries. I missed them, but I didn't feel like sorting out the logistics of getting them in the thick of pandemic border closures. I bought from the supermarkets and fruit stalls. Even so, the delays in flights made the strawberries less than desirable, and I didn't feel like paying any after having a tray of it. This year, I binged on them. Hahahaha. It's an absolutely indulgence. For the past three weeks, I've been eating trays and trays of white and pink strawberries. (淡雪/あわゆき<白いいちごの品種)

The man loves these strawberries too. He didn't know how gorgeous they can be. He was shocked at the five trays in the fridge. I told him that they would sit in their pockets in the trays and I wouldn't be transferring them in a bowl, so he should go rinse a few whenever he wants to eat them. The next day, I was aghast to see that he finished a tray all by himself. 😂 

Took a strawberry out for myself. Sliced off a bit for the dog. But she didn't want it at all. This girl is really not keen on many types of vegetables, and virtually rejects all fruits unless they've been blended or minced beyond recognition stirred in with her meats. Too bad for you, Choya. More for me then. 

I bought from Meidi-ya and Don Don Donki, and also bought from the specialty fruit wholesalers. I wanted to try the flavors from different farms in Kumamoto and Saga prefectures. None disappointed. The quality is right up there, super comparable. Every single piece of fruit was perfect. It's just a matter of how ripe they are when they reach my fridge. These light pink strawberries are simply gorgeous. The scent of the fruit and the firm and tasty nibbles. Mmmm. 🍓❤️

No comments: