Friday, April 30, 2021

The Man’s Chicken Liver Pâté


The man had a craving for chicken liver pâté, and as luck would have it, the supermarket had a few trays of fresh chicken liver nicely packed. He decided to blend up a batch at home. 300g of fresh chicken liver was gently cooked (sous vide), then blended up with masala wine, garlic, onions, butter, bay leaves, pepper and such. The end result would have to cool and set in the fridge in order for the texture to reach the right consistency. The smell of freshly blended (cooked) liver stank. I gagged. Hahaha. 

The ingredients yielded a manageable volume. About 400ml I'd say. (I didn't weigh it.) Nobody should be eating that much pâté! This homemade batch had to be finished in three days! It went into two small 250ml jars (one for his parents) to sit in the fridge for 10 hours. The jars were filled about ¾ and not to the brim. We would have to use 600g of liver in order to fill up these cute jars.

The man totally intended to have pâté for breakfast and as a snack for the next few days. I think he had about enough of boiled oats and bananas for the past month. Hahahaha. We had ciabatta in the fridge, and also a box of thin crisps that’s supposed to go with cheese, but these would go fine with pâté too. The crisps were, well, baked thin with dates, hazelnuts and pumpkin seeds. 

As much as I’m not keen on pâté, I took a small dollop on a crisp. It was pretty good! Decent enough to make little batches as gifts for friends in future. This little dollop was all I could stomach. I cannot do liver. The smell and scent of raw and cooked liver, like foie gras, isn’t for me. I cleared the palate with a tomato and a dark plum, just to erase that ermm taste. Oof.

No comments: