Thursday, September 16, 2021

Burgers & Slaw at Yardbird


The man is always up for a burger. He likes a good one, and enjoys checking out the different iterations the restaurants put out. I'm less keen on them because often, oily burgers give me the runs. I can't do them gourmet sometimes. Fortunately for me, burgers from McD's and Shake Shack in Singapore make my stomach quite happy.

Yardbird held a September month of 'American Burgers'; flavors change on a weekly rotation. There would also be a 'Mac and Cheeseburger', with streaky bacon and hot sauce. I don't know how that would go. I'm not keen on fried Mac and Cheese in my burger! On the burger rotation last week, there was a 'Triple Smash Burger' which the man was highly interested in. Made a reservation for dinner. 

Scooped up the dog for an evening walk by the city waterfront, and had her join us for dinner at Yardbird. There were available lots at the open-air carpark. The dog loves the area and likes sniffing around. The patches of green are very much appreciated as pee and poop spots. 

There was quite a crowd at the restaurants lining the waterfront tonight, but nothing crazy like the week-day-happy-hour office crowds. After walking a big round to check in one-by-one (because dogs aren't allowed in the mall, and there's only one access point from street level this side), we were finally seated. Outdoors, of course, and we had the entire area to ourselves. Nice. For many reasons, I prefer emptier outdoor spaces to dine at these few weeks. 

The evening saw plenty of walkers, dogs, cyclists and runners go by. Many people were having a picnic by the water too. Sunset hues were gorgeous. It wasn't too hot today, so the evening was fairly cool. The dog was happy. She had a grand time watching the world go by before getting bored and taking a snooze. 

The man went straight for a Steam Ale on tap from Crossroads Brewing Co and the 'Triple Smash Burger'. Each burger (on rotation for the week/month) comes with a set of proper fries. Nice. They offered chilli sauce to go along with it too. The man didn't mind the sunny-side up egg in the burger at all. He simply let the yolk run over the patties.

The menu has quite a number of vegetarian options. I appreciate that. However, many items are still fried. I mean, this is a Southern restaurant after all. The food is generally rich and oily, and heavy. Wary of indigestion, I daren't order a burger for myself. I just picked three bites off of the man's plate. I ordered sides to share — charred corn and quinoa, and a Southern slaw with fresno chillies, and a mac and cheese for myself. The mac and cheese didn't come with the herb crust as stated. Dohhhh. Ah well.

Thankfully, the food ordered was sufficient, and we could finish most of it. The volume wasn't too much till indigestion would set in again. The man was happy with his beer. I was happy with an easy glass of 'Tropical Gin' — lemongrass and lychee. Didn't ask what house gin they used. Didn't matter since those flavors work. I cannot deal with floral. Yup, one glass of gin was lovely with dinner. The nicely cut square cube of ice melted down slowly over the meal.  

No comments: