Saturday, October 09, 2021

Som Tam at Flying Pig

Golden Mile Complex's entrance still looked like they haven't totally cleared the rubble, and parts of it are cordoned off. The carpark looked like a construction dump site. The section of false ceiling at the entrance that fell in April is still not repaired. At this rate, the whole building might soon crumble. Ugh. 

After getting some groceries at the Thai supermarket, we stopped by Flying Pig for dinner. The man actually bothered to read up about the signature dishes of the eatery. I didn't bother. I simply assumed that its noodles and pork items were decent, totally based off its signboard. Hahaha.

Its supposedly famous omelette crab fried rice was mediocre. It had no wok-hei, and while generous with the portion of crab meat, the frozen meat used lent it no sweetness. The omelette was really good! The fried rice was decent, but we felt that its other dishes were much better executed. The garlic pork with steamed rice was really decent. The restaurant is generous with its portions. The beef soup was rich and flavorful, with loads of tender shin beef and pieces of tendon. I'd say that its noodles and soups beat that fried rice any day. I love it that I could choose a few kinds of noodles to go with the soups of pork or beef. 

What turned out unexpectedly delicious was the som tam. I loved it! Not that many eateries could churn out a good som tam. That night, Flying Pig did. It was suitably pungent, tangy and spicy. Superbly well balanced. What a treat. I seriously considered ordering a second serving. Haha. I'd totally come back for its som tam and a bowl of noodles.  Ahhhhhh..... I haven't had good som tam in a while. I miss all these legit spices, and totally miss eating out in Bangkok, and Thailand in general.  

No comments: