Thursday, January 20, 2022

Back in the Studios


After a few days of being back at the gym, pilates and gyrotonic, the body felt in equilibrium again. When the studios were closed over the year-end holidays, I dutifully set aside time to stretch at home. Seized the fine weather after the monsoon surge over the new year weekend, and made it to a few 5km runs, and did a 20-minute sprint in the pool every other day. 

The first gym class of the year was HIIT at the gym. It felt great, and the weights helped to check that the strength remains. Deltoids hurt so good from too many press-ups and pull-ups on the rings. Fired up the glutes and hamstrings. Luckily I continued with stretching hamstrings and quads at home. Those are the first muscles to become tight if I don't intentionally stretch them out.

The first Pilates class of 2022 was the one that got me good. The pilates instructor didn't go easy on my first session back on the reformer and all that. As soon as class was over, I knew I would wake up with sore muscles. And I did. Hahahaha. Hamstrings were dead. The deltoids and the sides hurt — teres major and lats. It felt almost as if I did nothing to exercise these muscles! I didn't even understand why my deltoids would hurt when I had been doing tons of pull ups and press-ups at the gym! 

It feels really nice not to have to think about exercises or exercising, and have someone else do it for me. All I have to do is to simply turn up. By committing myself to these classes, at least I don't feel so sluggish. The middle-age slug is REAL.

No comments: