Saturday, July 02, 2022

S's 44th at Kappo Shunshui!


I haven't visited Kappo Shunshui | 割烹 - 旬水 at its Hong Kong street location. No better occasion to visit than to celebrate S's 44th with its kaiseiki-omakase dinner menu. There were only us four tonight, so it definitely felt like we booked out the restaurant for this private birthday celebration. Wheeeeeee.

While dinner began with a 食前酒 of sparkling umeshu, I brought an easy bottle of Ichinokura's seasonal junmai daiginjo to start, and then ordered a bottle of Niizawa Brewery's Hakurakusei junmai daiginjo for the cooked food, and finally a gorgeously smooth bottle of Hamakawa Shoten's Bijofu junmai daiginjo Yumebakari Time 美丈夫 純米大吟醸 「夢許タイム」. It came in a beautifully crafted cedar box from the Kumiko artisans in the Kochi prefecture. This box is crafted without the famed Kumiko geometric patterns. I took it home anyway. Teeehehe.  

The appetizers were really fun and lovely. The sushi became a decadent handroll for us with its horsehair crab and uni. Oof! The sashimi wouldn't be the star at this restaurant. It's decent, it's part of the meal, but I might ask them to do away with it next time. Or treat it as a palate cleanser. Their cooked and grilled items, and soups are wonderful. I didn't care about the beef. It was a deep-fried A5 Miyazaki wagyu tenderloin served with young corn. But I did care about the black truffles shaved onto them — New Zealand's black winter truffle and Italy's white summer truffle. Hahahah. I no like peas, but I'll give those peas some credit. They were good and crunchy. I ate them.

I loved the soup of kinki and grilled eggplant. Absolutely hit a spot. I wanted a second bowl! Heh. I loved the choice of fish in tachiuo (silver beltfish) with asparagus and dried sea cucumber ovary. Beautifully grilled and braised, it was sublime. I was most looking forward to the rice. That was shokuji 食事 — steamed rice with scallops, lotus roots, baby sardines and brussels sprouts. What a splendid meal!!!

There were two types of desserts, and gosh, I enjoyed them loads. These are my kind of Japanese dessert; I'll skip them cakes, cream puffs and wagashi stuff. Presented separately as noodle jelly and black sugar dip, it was gorgeous. I hadn't had a version of kuzukiri boiled and prepped right in front of me for eons. The hand-whipped matcha was the perfect finishing touch. 

The traditional hand-churned black soybean ice-cream? OH YES PLEASE. That fresh sato nishiki cherry. Mmmm. I quickly cleared all my glasses of sake and happily drank matcha and hojicha for that finishing touch to an excellent meal. The teas were so good for the stomach.

No comments: