Tuesday, October 25, 2022

A Deepavali Ilai Sappadu


Joined the friends for a Deepavali/Diwali lunch at Podi & Poriyal. This has got to be my favorite Indian vegetarian restaurant in town for the now. The kitchen does good cooking and produces delightful dishes. Today's lunch was on a set menu; we didn't have to think of what to order — the restaurant curated it, and picked out complementary dishes. Best. WE JUST EAT. 

All the items on the lunch menu were scooped out on the banana leaf, and we were free to ask for seconds of any. We did. Hurhurhur. The vadai made with black urad dal was good, as were the cute broccoli paruppu idli. The raw banana crisps were cute and crisp. The gongura rice (with sorrel leaves) was so tasty, that I considered ditching the ponni rice for it. Hahaha.

The tomato and sorekkai pappu (Andhra style lentil curry with tomato and bottlegourd) was my favorite thing to go with the rice. Needless to say, the sambar here is always great. Today's Kalyana sambar was chunky and equally delicious. I asked for seconds of pappu and sambar.

I passed on the beeda. It's isn't my thing. Tasted the black bean halwa. Not bad. That poori payasam and ice cream were delicious. I finished them. They were surprisingly not as teeth-gratingly sweet as I expected. I realized that I have learnt to differentiate what is great payasam versus good, and of course the mediocre versions. Hurhurhur. I was soooo stuffed. What an awesome lunch. 

No comments: