Saturday, November 12, 2022

A Stiff Drink of Bourbon


Uncharacteristically agreed to a Manhattan, but done with dry Vermouth instead of sweet. That would overpower the beauty of the Basil Hayden's Subtle Smoke. 45ml in the cocktail and 15ml straight up in a second glass for me to sip. It's surprisingly smooth and very palatable. 

I needed a stiff drink. I was quite upset that day when I came home to a ripped front door sweeper, solid poop and smeared streaks, and blood splatter. Smol Girl lost it in a thunderstorm. Luckily the blood was all from her nail quick and a minor cut at the side of her toe. No broken or shaky nails or lifted paw pads. I was upset because she could have ripped a nail. Two days later, she found a way to rip the newly pasted door sweeper without bloodying her nails. No poop because she cleared her pipes that morning. WALAOEH. New stunt.

This season of thunderstorms isn't ideal. My poor Smol Girl cannot deal with the crackling thunder if she's alone at home. She has learnt to manage fine if we're home during a thunderstorm. It's a different story if she's alone. She's usually okay staying home alone, but not when it storms like this. I feel like I have to check the weather before I go out without her, and also dose her with the prescribed volume of Gabapentin to calm her nerves. Her storm anxiety when home alone is beyond the efficacy of a herbal calming supplement (NHV's Matricalm).

It was a very welcomed drink at Deadfall Bar at Barbary Coast. The bar welcomes dogs, so Choya came along. I had earlier snucked her into a restaurant along Boat Quay for dinner. Well, she strutted in. She certainly wasn't in a bag or a pram. Nobody batted an eyelid. Then we decided to randomly stop for drinks at Deadfall. One drink was all I needed. It was raining that afternoon and intermittently throughout the night too. But Choya was fine because she was with me. And often, she's calmer outdoors than at home.

No comments: