Saturday, November 26, 2022

Mono in Singapore 2022


I was super thrilled to see MONO play live again in Singapore. I've missed their sounds. They're much better heard and experienced live than heard over the earphones of the speakers. Unless you've got a fancy audio room, then you could pick out all the frequency and fidelity of their pedals and volume. 

MONO's most recent album 'Pilgrimage of the Soul' released in 2021 is like an ode to their three decades as a band. This is their 11th full length studio album. Wow. This new album is a little 'softer' than their previous songs. I haven't decided whether I like it as much. 

The sold-out show opened with 'Riptide' from the new album. Okay can. Some of the friends couldn't get into their 'new' sounds, and very much prefer the older songs. The band included 'Halcyon' (2004). That was beautiful. I was so pleased that they ended with 'Ashes in the Snow' (2009). It was such a good gig tonight.

I've forgotten about the volume of prog and post rock. They could fluctuate between soft and normal and super loud. Zzzzzz I was pretty close to the stage and the speakers. Like I said, Esplanade venues inspire confidence and trust, so I'm comfortable there. Thank goodness for Isolate earplugs; they always take the brunt of the decibels. But towards the end of the show, I retreated to the back where the merch table was. It was getting hot and stuffy, and I needed to breathe. Finished the rest of the show there, made a quick exit to wait for the friends outside. 

No comments: