Friday, August 11, 2023

Peach :: Momo :: 桃


Totally overdosing on peaches! Peach season is in and these peaches are sooo fragrant. I can't buy too many at a go because they ripen fast, even in the fridge and I need to decimate them asap.

I love having slightly unripened peaches with white miso. As a fruit, the usual momo is super sweet and I can't even finish one whole peach. I'll take a slice or two. So this season, I didn't bother to specifically order the white Shimizu peaches from Okayama. The pale pink-blush ones from wherever will do since those are eaten mostly by the husband. I think this batch is from Yamanashi. 

I don't want to ponder over whether these peaches are worth the prices. At S$15-$20 a peach, they're so pricey, but mad delicious. Seeing how fresh they are when they get to me from the long chain of farm to middlemen to fruit seller, I'm definitely paying loads for speed. I'll just pay. Heh. The quality of these fruits put out by my usual fruit sellers are superb. 

I love the golden Ougon peaches that arrive in late summer to early fall. Also known as Ogon-momo or Ogonto / 黄金桃. They're sweet, but slightly more acidic/tart and firm. They aren't as cloying as the pink momo. Apparently golden peaches were first cultivated by chance on Kawanakajima Island in Nagano, and because of its popularity, most prefectures grow and export them now.

No comments: