Friday, September 01, 2023

Chicken Ovaries in a Stew


I had two packs of frozen chicken ovaries meant for Smol Girl. However, one expired in July. Although it's technically okay to still let her have it raw, I decided to let her have the 'fresher' pack and I used the older pack for human food.

I could just simmer the ovaries with liver and gizzard. Or toss them in dark soy and chilli. But I decided to make a chicken stew out of it as a one-pot dinner. Seared all the offal and the breasts and thighs. Capsicum, carrots and potatoes went into the pot.  #ImpieCooks2023 

The ovaries and the liver would be taken out first and set aside, along with the breasts shortly after. The thighs and all could continue simmering for a bit. This isn't Cantonese soup. It doesn't have to be simmered for two hours. Light soy, dark soy, a touch sesame oil, and mirin would be all the umami the stew contains. It's a chicken adobo, but without the green chillies. I forgot to buy them. Teeeheheh.

The chicken adobo stew was mainly done for the man. He's the one who doesn't mind chicken at all at any occasion. He loves gizzards and liver. The ovaries simply added a fun dimension to the contents. So this stew had gone easy on the salt, and he could eat a bit more offal. Heh. He loved the gravy. LOL It went great with brown rice. I had cooked fuwa-fuwa rice for myself. That totally went well with the stew too. I took a small piece of thigh. It was rather delicious, if I may say so myself! 

No comments: