Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Sambal Okra & A Steamed Red Snapper

The man loves coriander and could have it with almost everything. Our Click & Grow now has three happy pods of coriander; he has been cutting off little bits here and there to go with his meals. Anyway, it was time to harvest a whole load of them to encourage greater growth. When I have an explosion of coriander in the plant pods, the fastest way to decimate them is to use them to steam fish.

On a night when the man had mad calls till midnight and no cravings, I could do an easy dinner. I didn't know what I wanted to cook. The last-minute supermarket run yielded a nice fillet of red snapper, and vegetables of enoki mushrooms, okra and Shanghai greens. The prep was ridiculously easy, and the clean-up wouldn't be tedious. Homecooked meals are always light, and since I don't put much salt in the food, hopefully they're tasty enough. Heh. 

I passed on frying the fish. I don't mind frying it, but the cleaning up oil splatter sucks. Sat the fish fillet in soy sauce and topped it with enoki mushrooms. Steaming it would take less than 25 minutes. While the fish was being steamed, I could just sort out the vegetables. #ImpieCooks2023

I only eat okra in one style- stir-fried with sambal. I always have a sambal of sorts in the freezer. Had three tubs this round. Opted for sambal belachan tonight. Tossed the okra in sambal belachan, dribbled a bit of fish sauce, and that was all! Easy peasy. The Shanghai greens were just lightly stir-fried with garlic, salt and pepper. Nothing complicated about them, but I love my greens done like this. 

No comments: