Thursday, September 07, 2023

Six Hours of Weekly Gyrotonic Practice This Month


A fellow Gyrotonic practitioner, L, is working hard to get her Level 1 coaching certification, and is required to chalk up coaching hours. I merrily volunteered for it. It's a tad intensive since L doesn't mind me doing many hours, and she needs to complete it before September ends. Hehhh. She said that in addition to taking on newbies to Gyrotonic, it's awesome to have a seasoned practitioner to add to her experience too.

L is still new to teaching, so she's understandably nervous. While it's fun to get certified, I'm not keen on teaching at all. I'd rather be a student/client. For these hours, I take it as a personal practice as well, relying on my own understanding and what my instructor has imparted. It's always good to be able to compare instructors' tips and have a check on how well I understand the movements.

I'm very clear what I separately want out of Pilates and Gyrotonic. They're not the same. The movements give me a different stretch in the muscles and work them differently. It's tough to build up strength in Gyrotonic, but much easier to do so in Pilates. But you can never get full strength without lifting weights and doing loaded squats. Gyrotonic can work on weaker obliques and rotation and spinal articulation, but Pilates can't fully do that.  

No comments: