Friday, March 01, 2024

F*^king Hell, Ritual Gym SG

Quietly in the middle of the afternoon, Ritual sent an email and said that they're ceasing operations, effectively immediately. They shut down their social media accounts, restricted all communications between gym admin personnel and members, and almost smugly announced that they're sitting in provisional liquidation already, and shoved us to their liquidators. 

I was stunned to get that email. They closed down the Raffles outlet last May. That was done quite nicely. I thought they expanded too fast — Orchard and Katong all at once. I suspected that they were running out of money. The emails and marketing tactics sounded kinda desperate. I thought they might close down one gym first (say Tiong Bahru) before doing this total shutdown. It can only mean that their overheads are not sustainable and they're completely behind payment and salaries. I hope the staff are at least paid. They would have been blindsided too.

I am so pissed. Bastards. They didn't even bother to do any form of notice, service recovery and allowance. They just straightaway dropped the bombshell and sat in provisional liquidation to even avoid answering all emails and queries. 

What the fuck, Ritual. Come I clap for you. 🤬

All we can do now, is to register ourselves as unsecured creditors with the liquidators and let them know the outstanding classes, or 'sessions' as they call it, owed for payment paid. If and when there're any refunds, at least our names are there. Obviously, there would be nothing after all corporate creditors are paid off.  

We didn't bother signing up for the annual membership. That costs too much for the frequency I go. We buy sessions, say class packs of 25 or 50. The husband has 50 sessions left with them. I told him not to buy it. Idiot. I refuse to pay more because every time I buy things like this, the business closes down. SO. I have 19 sessions left. 

Gawdddamn it. 

Ritual gym's programs are easy for me, and its class cancellation policies are great. Now I have to go find another gym that offers set classes for HIIT. An exercise regime must include a cardio hit. But I'm so lazy that I've got no interest in F45, BFT or REVL. Then I gotta see how accessible this new gym is to me. What a pain. I went for a 3-km sprint earlier this morning. (And I so rarely bother about running.) Because, ANGRY.

No comments: