Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Steamed Ikan Kurau

Choya's portions.

Toddled off to Meidi-ya to get a lovely piece of madai sashimi for the Smol Girl, and also a good quality fillet of ikan kurau / threadfin to steam it for her. The fillets weren't small. So I got two packs of four fillets. As a result, I decided to steam up fillets for our lunch too. LOL

I also needed coriander and spring onions; got some bok choi too. Decided to do up a second dish of an easy stew in the form of lean minced pork, silken tofu, daikon and mushrooms. This would do for a light superbly healthy lunch filled with proteins. No additional carbs needed in the form of rice or noodles. 

I prepped the fish for the Smol; Girl first. She had a first small main topped with madai sashimi. Then a second main of steamed ikan kurau. Another portion went into the fridge for the next day. Hers held just a tinkle of salt, and a base of bok choi and coriander. She didn't need anything else. I knew she wouldn't care about vegetables, so I just left them at the side, and topped hers with a fresh coriander leaf. She doe eat coriander, when she's in the mood. Heh. Today, she slurped them all up. 

Today I felt like using bok choi as a base to line the plate before steaming the fish. It would lend some sweetness to it. The portion for humans included mushrooms, garlic, shallots and ginger, and a generous dash of soy sauce and fish sauce. Steaming fillets this small and thin wouldn't require too long. Just under 15 minutes on high heat, then turn it off to let it cook in the hot pot.

I rustled up the tofu, daikon, shiitake and minced pork separately. Those were done with dashi and a bit of white pepper in pot. That was easy and tasty, and added some bite to the meal. While I prepped the food, the man went off to the gym for 1.5 hours. The stew didn't take long to be ready. #ImpieCooks2024  

I decided to have my own lunch first. I didn't use the giant steamer. Used a small pot and split up the bowls of fish. Steamed my slab of ikan kurau first, and ate it. Steamed the man's fish slightly later when he texted that he was on his way back. Fish tastes best cooked just about right. 

When the man got back, his fillets of fish was just done. Nice. His portion of stew of tofu and daikon and mushrooms were easily scooped out into bowl. Fuss-free one-pot meals FTW. He loved this little lunch chockfull of tasty proteins. 

No comments: