Sunday, May 05, 2024

Cafe Onion in Seongsu-dong


Nobody plans an itinerary without taking a look at a city's TikTok/IG-famous photo spots and cafes. Tourists and locals alike whoosh to all four outlets of Cafe Onion in Seoul. The differently themed outlets are in Seongsu (industrial warehouse with rooftop tables), Mia at Bukhasan (like an art gallery with only indoor seating), Anguk (hanok style) and Gwangjang (street stall style)

Of course we didn't visit all. We're not diehard fans of Cafe Onion. Heh! That lunch, we didn't want noodles or rice. We just wanted savory bread. Carb-heavy, but I was fine with quaffing one piece of bread or so. Went to the industrial chic Cafe Onion at Seongsu-dong. The entire area is home to warehouses, and has become rather gentrified. Ahhhh, I marveled at the space again. This one cafe is SO BIG. 

It was too hot to sit on the roof terrace. The sun was blazing. Found a corner bench on the ground floor to ourselves. Didn't have to squeeze with anyone. We shared all our breads. They were HUGE. I didn't expect them to come in such big sizes. I thought that the savory bakes and pastries would be okay but not the coffee. It would be even more obvious to me since I drink my coffee black. The coffee was surprisingly decent. 

We split an olive bacon focaccia, a salt bread, and a sausage roll. There was a 'Black Crunch' chocolate bun too. E and S loved the sweet bun. They ate it all. I passed on even having a bite of that. While I needed some bit of food and prefers a savory lunch, it was already too much dough and flour and carbs. 

No comments: