Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Beyond the Dough


The man was most curious about the hottest new pizza joint in town, Beyond the Dough. It's quite ridiculous that each time a 'popular' makan place opens, it's booked up months in advance. I'm not booking even two months ahead to eat pizza.

Anyway, I usually can get slots quite easily at whichever restaurants we want as long as it's booked about two weeks in advance. I can work with a week, but preferably not. So we popped by Beyond the Dough for lunch. Master pizzaiolo Eddie Murakami is behind the counter churning out pizzas with precision.

The menu isn't exactly vegetarian friendly. I do like its alcohol list. It already stated that if we didn't order drinks, then water is charged at $3 per person. Heh. So very typical of a Japanese izakaya. The man was pleased with a Kirin draft. I was super happy with its great highballs. There's coffee shochu too, if you prefer. 

If you like Tokyo-style Neapolitan pizzas, you'll like Beyond the Dough's offerings. Now, I'm not fond of pizzas at all. It's a PTSD food for me, along with fries, sausages, burgers, the sorts. If I had to have pizza, I very much prefer Tokyo-style over standard NYC or the crisp sourdough base Italian, and never Chicago deep-dish pies. I can deal with a square of Sicilian style. The man loves pizzas, all pizzas. He went for broke with an appetizer of meatballs, then two pizzas!

We had the Nduja, which is a cheese mozzarella base with basil, pork salsiccia and Nduja sauce. Then he decided that he could stuff in more and opted for the tomato-base Arrabbiata, which is slightly spicy with chilli, Aomori garlic, homemade parsley paste, and Nduja sauce

OMG. I was so stuffed. I had four slices of pizza in total! That was three more slices than what I would usually have, as a courtesy to my dining companion, and four slices were more than OTT. I left the crust too. Not interested in them. I couldn't eat anything else for the rest of the day.

No comments: