Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Oh Quail!


Choya's stomach is excellent at digesting whole prey. I simply don't bother giving it to her that often since her bloodwork tells me that she doesn't need it. Also, I can't quite deal with rabbit fur and bird's feathers in my sink.

Ryo is so thoughtful. He gifted Choya a whole bag of frozen quail. The quality looked excellent. Woah! What a splendid gift! These were small defeathered quails weighing at 139g each. LOVELY. Put them into the freezer and thawed out one for her meal the next day.

Choya eats about 280g - 350g of food a day, with the ratios balanced. I could add on 15% more muscle meat for her and it wouldn't affect nutritional levels. Technically Choya could eat one 139g of a whole quail for the day. But out of consideration for stomach size, I split it into half. Half today and the next half to be eaten the next day.

The rest of the stash would be frozen and given to her maybe twice a month. It's not so much of a matter of over-eating. It's more of stimulating her tastebuds by rotating different proteins and raw foods appearing on her plate in different forms. 

She knew that the quail was for her. She heard me prepping it, and couldn't wait. She lurked really close by the prep counter. She was almost tap-dancing when I brought out her plate. It was her lunch, and the food there included her usual raw base. She sniffed the whole plate and went for the quail first.

She was absolutely thrilled with her lunch. She LOVED the quail. I had to take a video clip of her chomping on the quail, bones and all. That crunching is such delightful music to my ears. I love seeing the Smol Girl enjoy her food. I don't bother with much treatos in between her meals. It's important to me that she eats well, and not just ingesting unnecessary extras. 

No comments: