Thursday, July 25, 2024

Tau Kwa Pau with Braised Duck Legs at Choon Hoy Parlor

Checked out Choon Hoy Parlor for its kitschy decor and kinda fun menu. Dunno if it would stay in its current location, but I appreciate that outdoor area, although construction drilling and pounding make it rather annoying, even in the nights.

As usual, zi char food is tasty, but greasy. Very greasy. This menu is pretty fun though. Traditional yet innovative. The Fuzhou oyster cakes stuffed in pani puri were small and cute, but I skipped them since I have generally no interest in oyster cakes or oyster omelette. The dry laksa with prawns was impossible to finish if the table doesn't eat too much carbs. 

Somebody on the table ordered dry bak kut teh in claypot with dried chillies. It was actually pretty all right. But that Someone . We warned him that it was DRY and with chilli similar to a kung pao style. He knew nothing and insisted he know how to eat it. Of course he ended up taking a bite from a big pork bone, discarding it and declared 'I don't know how to eat this'. Tsk tsk. 

It's exactly like how he says he eats only grouper, but casually forgets to tell us that he only eats red grouper. WTF. So of course he doesn't want to eat the fish when it's black grouper that arrives on the table. I warned him that I'll never ask him what he wanted to eat again and I'd simply order what I WANT. Which he jolly well knows by know that my palate is completely different from his. We would never order grouper for ourselves, instead preferring soon hock or pomfret, all of which he doesn't eat. It's damn annoying. So nowadays when we order food, we simply ignore him. If he has nothing to eat on the table doesn't want to order his own food and obstinately sticks to the 'order what you'd like and I'll eat them all', he will have to learn. I tell you, some humans are fucking annoying. 

Anyway, I had loads of things that I eat. The tau kwa pau and braised duck legs was pretty good. The vegetables of long beans, petai, okra and brinjal stir-fried in sambal buah keluak were tasty. The white pepper pig stomach collagen soup was decent, but could do with less salt. We had tapau back a ton of food since SOME people don't know how to eat the dishes or they simply don't like it because it's too innovative for them.

No comments: