Tuesday, August 27, 2024

It's Just Bak Chor Mee

In the same kopitiam at Block 466 Crawford lane.
The OG stall is to the right. Sister stall to the left.

I never understand why Singaporeans and tourists really buy into the hype and queue for bak chor mee at the original Tai Hwa stall (to the right) on Crawford Lane. In the same kopitiam, the sister stall to the left (run by the daughter who also walks 5m over to help out at the OG stall) sees almost no queue. Although taking orders and serving food are separate, these two stalls are literally the same. They share ingredients, workers and pots of broth. 

If diners simply split across the stalls, then nobody has to wait more than 10 minutes for their orders to be ready. As it is, people still flock to the OG stall. It ends up that you wait 30-45 minutes at the OG stall and maybe longer during peak hours. Whereas I'd simply go to the stall on the left, get into the short queue (say 3 pax) and get my food within 15 minutes. It's so weird that the owners would do two stalls in the same coffeeshop this way. The logistics are illogical. Branding isn't everything in this! Couldn't one unit be used to cook and the other used to prep and serve customers? Anyway. Of course I went to the stall with no queues. I'm not a fan of bak chor mee, so to me, it's all the same.

I can understand why they no longer do the $6 bowl. It isn't viable anymore from the business owners' standpoints. The current pricing of either $8 and $10 is still worth it for us diners when one considers the ingredients given. Tai Hwa hasn't stinged on that yet. For hungry people, you can add more items up to $15.

Now, I don't like bak chor mee because I don't like its vinegar and its odd chilli. I order mine as 'white-white' with kway teow; NO CHILLI, NO VINEGAR. I like mine done this way. For $10, it still comes with the usual minced pork, and sliced pork, liver, two dumplings, three meatballs, and some fried fish. The soup is still always tasty with seaweed. It was a satisfying lunch.

No comments: