Sunday, September 29, 2024

7 Years Old Isn't 'Old' Yet Okay

We walked by a 3-year-old cream Shibe boy. The owner is very very young, kept her head down with hair flapping all over her face that I couldn't really see her features. But it's clear she is no conversationalist. She learnt that Choya is 7 years old and went 'oh'. That told me she has no idea how to react to the idea of older dogs or talk to people walking older dogs, and I'm generalizing along that line by now. 

In the next minute, she totally proved me right. She tried to pull her enthusiastic dog away from annoying Choya, and blurted out "[name of boy Shibe]! Chill out. She's too old for you." 

You should have seen my face. That unintended statement is so ignorant! Good lawwd. I silently turned my back on her and walked away. I was mildly annoyed by that line. So annoyed till I mentioned it to the husband, and complained about it on IG. For the Shiba Inu, given their lifespan, they're considered seniors at about 10-11 years old. 

Luckily my dog's feelings weren't hurt. Sure, she doesn't fancy hanging around puppies because they're just too much energy. If any, she really doesn't like over-enthusiastic dogs, regardless of their age. She's generally calm, and I'd like to encourage that. 

The husband asked if I'm now a tad sensitive to age-related opinions, statements and such. I wonder too. Perhaps. I know what I have to do to keep healthy in body and mind. I don't need to be better than anyone or get huffy about aging. I just need to sort out my own strength and flexibility versus incoming perimenopause. That's on me. It's not about being prickly. It's more likely that I don't appreciate rude or snarky (subjective to one's threshold) statements about age, but I'm not sensitive about MY age. 

I'm sensitive about my dog's.

No comments: