Saturday, September 14, 2024

豬肉白菜餃子與蔥油餅


I haven't made dumplings for a long time because Choya's fur is everywhere. You can find the fur in the microwave oven, the fridge (and the freezer), and the oven. Our small flat's kitchen is so open that it's not possible to keep it fur-free. The dog routinely plonks herself in the corner if she feels like, and the larder serves as her safe refuge during thunderstorms.

I don't actually dare to make dumplings as a gift for friends. I can't guarantee the hygiene, and I especially can guarantee the presence of Choya's fur in the filling and the dough. I suppose by now, the man and I are resigned to eating bits of Choya's fur. Hahahaha. So I decided to make a batch of cabbage and pork dumplings (豬肉白菜餃子) for dinner. 

I made 50 dumplings, the maximum my utensils and freezer space allow. We would be having about 25-30 dumplings for dinner. The man would require a little bit more savory things. I had spring onions and everything else, so I simply did a scallion pancake (蔥油餅). #ImpieCooks2024

I still don't own a rolling pin. I use an old bottle of whisky, fill it with water and use that to roll the dough. I made the skin a tad thick. I was rushing lah. But all turned out pretty well. Heh. I'll do another batch soon, for ourselves. That batch should see thinner skin rolled out the way I like it.

I had 15 dumplings for dinner. The man took 12 pieces and also enjoyed his scallion pancakes. I didn't have time to make chilli sauce. Also, I was too lazy to bother. The contractors just cleared a leak in the kitchen's false ceiling two days ago, and I did a fair bit of cleaning up and I was still tired. So for a bit of spice, I added laoganma chilli oil to the man's bowl.

I was very pleased to have dumplings for dinner. I didn't need chill sauce, fish sauce or additional soy sauce or anything else. Just fried shallots will do. I salt my cooking just right. I totally define this as 'eating clean'. Heh. 

No comments: