Saturday, September 21, 2024

Sambal Pomfret & Steamed Ikan Kurau Head

These two months are crunch-time for me at work. Not in the sense of a closing quarter 'peak' period. It's more of a me having to turn up IRL to interpret and facilitate at seminars and panels. These are full-day affairs and even if I end early, it's about 4.30pm. I would be utterly exhausted because I'd have to churn out notes for the sessions and I'm not keen to leave these hanging or to do them a few days later. I prefer to type them out when it's fresh in my mind.

On these days, I'm a tad drained, and I'm not up to any more socials beyond taking the dog out and having a quiet night. Thankfully, the friends are equally busy or traveling and I needn't feel bad about going quiet and not even suggesting a meet.

I'm also not very interested in food during this period, certainly not long-drawn meals. Lunch is usually a hurried affair, usually catered. I'd like my dinners to be quick, and hopefully nutritious enough. I have a serious craving for fish these few weeks. Got a few types of fish done differently. My stomach is very happy.

Sambal Pomfret

Stopped by Lai Huat Seafood at Horne Road, Jalan Besar area that night for its sambal pomfret. At S$48++, it's pretty all right. It's fresh enough. It's fried, of which I'm not terribly hot about, but its flesh is fine, so no issues. I'd just have that, with a bit of vegetables and rice, and call it a good meal. 

Once we parked and strolled towards the eatery, we ran into two good friends also in search of dinner. They didn't mind the non-air-conditioned kopitiam. I didn't mind eating together. So we did. Had a few big bottles of beer (only Carlsberg, will do) and no-sugar Ayataka green tea with a ton of ice to beat the heat. Lovely. The table ordered prudently — one sambal pomfret, one plate of choi sum with garlic, one cabbage soup, and one ginger pork

Lai Huat Seafood
72 Horne Road Singapore 209075
T: +65 6229 3024
Hours: 5.30pn to 10pm daily. (Public holidays might alter these timings.)

Ikan Kurau

Then on a quiet night, I wanted some bak but teh. To be specific, I wanted the soup, not the pork. I somehow am not interested in the ribs. Hahahah. Toddled out to Legendary Bak Kut Teh at Rangoon Road. The only problem I have with this venue, is the pungent durian smells wafting over across the road one block away from that corner durian shop. 

Besides the pork ribs and soup, and the husband's preferred tau kee (beancurd skin) and preserved vegetables, we also ordered a serving of ikan kurau head. They have garouper head on the menu too, but I prefer threadfin. At S$38++, it was just half a head, and it was enough for the husband and I. 

Steamed Teochew style, the threadfin head was ridiculously fresh. The tangy garlic-chilli served alongside totally hit a spot. I thoroughly enjoyed it with a bit of rice. That was absolutely satisfying. 

No comments: