Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Cabbage Consommé & Baked Fish


It has been a while since I had a good bowl of Cantonese soup and fish. Had a craving for these. Off to Yan Ting it was for dinner with S. 

Got my soup — a lovely double-boiled bowl of baby cabbage consommé, bamboo pith, and mushrooms. Had vegetables in the form of broccolini with tiny ikan bilis

Chose a leopard coral grouper (東星斑). Instead of our usual steamed Hong Kong style or Teochew style, we opted for it to be baked in onion and garlic (蔥蓉生焗). It was pretty good! The baked style was quite fun, and left the meat still juicy and tender. It arrived as a super manageable 700g portion. Minus the head and the bones, we had about 300g of meat. Given the calcuations of ~19g or protein per 100g of meat, that would yield about 55g of protein. I probably had like 35g of protein!

S was greedy and wanted a bite of noodles. I was super skeptical. There was no way she could even eat a bowl of it. We still ordered the seafood vermicelli (海鮮米線). LOL She had a spoonful. I had a small bowl. We knew we would have to pack home most of it. Hahahah. That's okay. Her husband would be able to have most of it for lunch the next day since he was working from home and would need food too.

No comments: