E organized an afternoon of batik painting workshop for us. Since I wasn't the one to sort out all these, I didn't bother to remember details. Hahaha. I simply turned up at the stated timing for lunch and coffee at the correct venue, and then toddled over to The Art Faculty for the workshop.
This workshop is led by Iolana of Raya Artisans. The batik painting is done on wood — coasters, boards, cups and plates, and even a table lamp. You could buy them. But the bad news for me today is, I have actually sit down and commit the time and effort to produce two coasters to take home. Arrrrrrgh.
Art classes used to be compulsory for me in school, as well as on the weekends. I'm not particularly interested in them. I ended up being half decent at certain things, but not others. Often, it's a matter of putting in the hours and effort to practice.
The Art Faculty loans out its space for artists to host their events. My only complaint — it's so eco-friendly that the AC is almost non-existent, and the temperature hovered at like 27dC, and I perspired like crazy. I skipped the complimentary drink since I just came from lunch, and was fed and hydrated. I also had a bottle of lovely chilled water, so I didn't need extras.
Now, this batik thing. Batik is the art of wax-resist dyeing techniques used to create intricate patterns on the cloth. I've seen artisans at work. I have done some on fabric, but with stencils, not freehand. Today's workshop is done freehand using a tjanting to drip the hot wax over the wooden coasters. Haizzzz. Tracing and drawing patterns. I'm not patient, and it really tests my grit in tracing those lines. And painting them. My hand isn't that steady, and without the experience of the professional artisans who've had years of practice, I know my coasters are going to turn out juvenile. So I opted for the easiest patterns. I wouldn't even call it replicating. They looked nowhere similar to the ones (hand-drawn) on retail. Hahahahah.
Iolana has done these workshops for a few years, and it's obvious she's got her logistics down pat. I have sufficient information and guidance in dripping the hot wax over the wood. Whether I can create the neatness or lines I envision, is quite another thing. These workshops can travel to someone's living room with a big enough table to seat 6-8 pax, or to a corporate seminar room. As long as there're electrical points for the bubbling pots of wax, a water point and sink for hand-washing nearby, the workshop is a go. The set-up is clean and not messy. Hot wax isn't dirty that way.
Our coasters are made of untreated mahogany wood. Once we were done, we waxed it, and then added another layer of resin (food grade) to seal it. Mine didn't turn out too bad. E and S made much nicer ones since they really put their hearts into it. I simply wanted to complete it without them looking too crappy.
![]() |
| Our completed coasters. It's obvious who put more heart into having them look presentable. Teehehehe. |



No comments:
Post a Comment