Thursday, May 10, 2007

Erudition

I didn't realize I love intellectual discourse and academic discussions this much.

Today, the lecturer endeavoring to give us a breakdown on current ASEAN bilateral relations and issues, had also taught me a long way back in one of the modules I took for my university major. That brought a flood of memories to mind from those days of being wild.

As names of ASEAN cities and towns silently rolled off my tongue and reverberated in my mind, I dragged up memories and images of those familiar, far-flung places that dive trips took me to. Through the years, it wasn't just about exploring the fascinating marine world or helping the friends collect marine specimens for their bio-research. The dive trips also inculcated in me, an understanding of the locals' way of life, language and cultural practices. All these are so ingrained that I automatically slip in vernacular jargon, accents and nuances whenever I'm in, say,
Pescador, Lankayan, Karimunjawa , Banyuwangi or Nha Trang.

I was one of the many young uni undergrads who did the popular, almost de rigeur backpacking of western Europe. Now, when I vacation, I eschew the glittering cities of Paris, Madrid, London and New York. I love Eastern Europe and the Middle East. I have embraced Sakya,
Luang Prabang, Paro and Darkhan. Can't wait to do more of them.

Travels and life experiences have made the history of each country come to life for me. And in that, I don't just read about the development of the cities. I am deeply intrigued by the culture, the people, the food, the lifestyle, their idiosyncracies and the grander shifting political winds.

In university then, I eventually chose to do a thesis that was inspired by Samuel Huntington's Clash of Civilizations and the impact of
Islamic revival in the 21st century.

I love the process of acquiring this knowledge. There need not be a point or any practical application to the knowledge. I just want to know more about the world I live in. I like being an educated spectator. I just like to know.

Good gawd. I actually love studying. I feel like a frog in the well! There is so much that I don't know. There is just too much that I want to know. There are so many things that I need to learn. I'm thinking about prostrating among the groves of Academe again and beg the touch of Athene.

Studying, for the fun of it.

Doing research, because it stimulates my mind.

Discussion, so that I can feel brainy and clever for digesting my readings.

I have to plan to do this, say...in 2 years. That sounds just about right for a sabbatical.

13 comments:

zewt said...

somehow... my passion to continue to study has disappeared. maybe if i am doing something i really like will somehow ignite the interest again...

but things like you mentioned... bilateral ties and history... wow... too heavy...

kikare said...

What was your major? History? Anthropology? Sociology?

I think the desire to learn more comes rather naturally when you have worked for a number of years. A more mature self may not be physically fitter to take up the challenge of late night studies, but our brains are definitely more ready :)Fingers crossed that I will be going back to uni again in fall and start reading a whole new subject.

Anonymous said...

now you've gone set me thinking. perhaps i should do something different too. i feel jaded. a stint in your major would be fun.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you!

Actually, i've been planning to resume my studies when i hit 30. That's y i said i couldn't wait till 30 (it's one of the 2 reasons) :P

I like studying too. Gimme history anytime! And anything to do with geography too! But i wont be studying them unfortunately, if, i do resume my studies.

Anonymous said...

You dive?? *envious* I'm still waiting for approval! Ggrrrr...

Maybe i'll do it secretly.. :P

wildgoose said...

Oh I so agree that studying stimulates the mind and is much more interesting. Agree with a former classmate that "our brains are coming out of our ears" since we started working. :D
but must find the right ppl to discourse with, and not those who argue for the sake of arguing and sounding intelligent.

Anonymous said...

ah..you haven't set up that salt water tank in the house?! what a waste!

but i must say you keep my specimens alive really well. i remember the 2 week banyuwangi/sunda straits then bali party. those pretty little things held up really well.

sinlady said...

I love academia. Taking sabbatical is such a priceless luxury.

imp said...

zewt: mine did too. till something ignited again. :)

kikare: political science. :) good on you! what's the new subject that you'll be reading? sounds exciting already!

seth: i'd love a stint in your major, save that i can't get my brain to memorize terms like 'lateral epicondylitis of the humerus' to wow YOUR patients. come diving in SEA.

sherie: go think about what you want to do! it'll be fun! i've been diving for almost 11 years now.

wildgoose: true. it's a great pleasure to sit down and 'argue' with good pointers and exchanges.

neophyte: and you never showed me what you did to them! you evil thing!

sinlady: am most definitely thinking of a sabbatical. first, i gotta pick a school and a subject.

Anonymous said...

and you never quite discuss politics here?! i suppose i shouldn't ask why. too heavy a topic...and too many problems after.

Anonymous said...

my first choice is environmental studies, and my back up choice is international relations & political science, hehe!

but i don't know yet... circumstances might delay my plan. i'll have to see how things go.
fortunately the swedish system is very flexible and accommodating.

Anonymous said...

imp! what about doing art history? that would be fun! i'm thinking of it. we could be roomies. dunno where though. NY? London?

imp said...

cheryl: well, you said it all!

kikare: sounds fun already!!! i'm still thinking!

dainty daisy: wah. i'm not so cultured. it's fun to read up on my own. not sure if i can do it proper...