Saturday, September 13, 2008

This One Asked Strange Questions

Last week, I took the helper/maid along to run the usual errands at Raffles City. Completely laden, it was time for lunch. Trotted to Kuriya where I had a grilled fish with rice and the helper had a claypot udon and tempura was decent. She scooped out a small bowl for me to try. She then wondered aloud if I preferred her version of the miso or this sort of clear soup. She wanted to know what the bottles of dashi at home could do. So we had this conversation going about soups.

Midway, an old acquaintance who was out for lunch with her colleagues came over to say hello. After ascertaining that I wasn't married with children, she gave me very queer, sympathetic looks that I didn't care for.  I completely didn't comprehend her question, "You don't have lunch company today?"

Hello. Big human, see. My helper's sitting right there. She is my lunch company.

I kinda said that rather pointedly. This conversation wouldn't go far. Said acquaintance made some excuse about having to get back to her table and left. I didn't say bye. Frankly, I thought her question a tad offending. Now, may I ask, after a morning of shopping, what is strange about sitting down to a proper lunch with my helper?

16 comments:

Jo said...

what a complete snob this woman is! As if a maid is not human? As if a maid is not human enough to have lunch with her employer?

I hope someday, someone who knows her boss would bump into the boss and her (your acquaintance) having lunch, then ask the boss the same question she (your acquaintance) asked you today. Won't that be hilarious?!! Wuahahaha!!

Anonymous said...

maybe not many people would sit down one on one with a maid at a restaurant?

but she's bit rude lah.

Anonymous said...

narrow-minded. tsk...

Unknown said...

Somehow, there is a class distinction that maids should not be seen on the same table as employers. A similar example takes place at country clubs where not too long ago, maids were not allowed.

As employees who wish to be treated with humanity and respect by our bosses, we should also do likewise to those whom we hire.

Little Miss Snooze said...

tsk. She obviously doesn't see domestic helpers as proper company?

And I think it's v rude of her to say such things lor!

Anonymous said...

the old acquaintance is VERY rude, actually. annoys me that i know these types too and they think they are my equals.

Anonymous said...

i'm struggling to find a link between children and maid. there's gotta be something there. it's like, if you've a brood of kids and a maid at the table, it's ok. but she doesn't seem to get the u and maid alone to eat thing.

Anonymous said...

nothing strange at all. she's the one that's strange! i go out for meals and shopping with my maid quite often, esp when my parents are away :)

Ally said...

they expect them to be seated one seat away from you or something probably.
always seeing that at food courts, while the family chat happily, then the maid looking sombrely hungry by their side.

Anonymous said...

she's worse than a dinosaur!

Corsage@A Dollop Of Me said...

That's really awful. I really don't like how people treat maids as if they are transparent and sub-human :(

imp said...

jomel: ahhahahahahah. we so bad.

jazzgal + coolinsider + lms: i guess class distinctions exist. but maids live with families. surely they should be accorded alot more respect than strangers in the street.

sinlady: UGH to those people.

queenie: i don't even want to go there.

ame: it'll be VERY STRANGE if we go out together with our maids in tow. wahahahahhahahaha.

moo + orientalQ + gerbera + corsage: yah lor. i dunno what terrible perceptions some people have. hello, my maid knows so much about me and my living habits. duh!

=eLaiNe= said...

so maid has to stand beside the master and wait for the master to finish their meal only they can tuck in? what kinda LAW is this? come on ! the woman is so rude!

a good attentive maid makes a good lunch accompanion too! =p

imp said...

elaine: yah lor. yes, not everyone does it. but i do. and some others do. and since we do, then it shouldn't be a strange thing wat.

Anonymous said...

Why she gave you sympathetic looks? I thought it's the other way round. I get those looks sometimes from the swinging singles especially when the kid is a handful.

imp said...

sesame: i've no idea! can't even be bothered to waste more brain cells thinking. gaah.