Monday, July 20, 2009

Eating Along Sisowath Quay


For hygienic food of any kind, one has to go down to the riverside, to a tourist-trap restaurant located along Sisowath Quay. Unless you possess a cast-iron stomach for local street food.

We just walked along the busy streets filled with locals and not many tourists till we saw bistro all lit up on a pretty street. I was suspicious of it because it looked and felt exactly like a Parisian sidewalk cafe.

But the name said Lyon d'Or, so I hopped along into its doors with a teeny bit of hope.

The menu was alot more extensive than the usual Parisian sidewalk cafes. If all else failed, there were the US$7 - US$10 Khmer and Thai dishes to fall back on. Besides being exceptionally sweet, the dishes were pretty okay. I don't get why Khmer dishes are so fond of piling on the sugar.

At US$15 - US$20 a dish for the Khmer-French style fish and meats, they were way more edible than those at €15 - €20 in Paris. Though the mash and tons of cream in the dishes made it iffy, one could just scrape it away. Oh, the bread was hot and tasty! I actually ate 2 rolls without the strange-tasting butter. But I wasn't about to complain nor compare it to back home. I'm here in Phnom Penh and I'll eat according to the dictated norms as a tourist.

3 comments:

mistipurple said...

have a good working trip.
you have great attitude. :)

imp said...

mistipurple: with a limit of course. i draw my line at cold street food.

Jo said...

you jet-setter you! I am learning so much about the world from you. heeee!