Sunday, August 30, 2009

Cà phê sữa đá OR Cà phê sữa nóng


I love the hazelnut aroma and rich dense flavor of Vietnamese coffee. I dislike the condensed milk bit of it. At home, once in a while, I drink Vietnamese coffee hot with a dollop of fresh milk. I tell you, it taste so much better.

Aside from Monmouth Coffee, I also rave about Vietnamese coffee. Against better judgment and because I love that taste, I had a cup of cà phê sữa đá at lunch and the caffeine kept me awake till 2am. DOH.

The colleagues seemed to all love coffee. I looked on with a fair bit of amusement at the colleagues who swept the shelves clean of packets of Trung Nguyen coffee. They were buying the packs for themselves as well as gifts for the family and friends. I scrooge, didn't buy a thing!

I walked around and poked my nose into the other aisles. I'm quite amazed by the supermarkets in Vũng Tàu. Perhaps I'm ignorant. But in those non air-conditioned crowded narrow supermarkets, they carry labels alot of ingredients for gourmet cooking. There're so many imported or local labels of pâté mousse, herbs etc. I called the man in excitement to see if there was anything he wanted! Let's just say that the man will be interested in the tiny supermarkets as well, if the heat doesn't kill him first.

The colleagues also grabbed the weasel (civet cat) coffee at VND $118,000. Haizz. Isn't that a bit like kopi luwak? Didn't really want to tell them how I feel about kopi luwak, and how we shouldn't be drinking it till some measures are placed for the humane treatment of the animals in question. Colleagues already think me strange. But I guess it's a matter of different lifestyles, habits and outlook. At least among the friends, we're on the same page. That makes me feel better. I did say that I don't take kopi luwak. If only more people understand why. Kinda left the shop and waited for them elsewhere.

6 comments:

Jo said...

waaah.. I would LOVE to try vietnamese coffee.. heard so much about it, from the husband even who went to HCM on business trip 2 years ago. But not trying or buying the kopi luwak, thanks! :)

tuti said...

coffee's not my cup of tea. er..

mochalatte said...

aahhh dat's heaven wif e legendary civet cat coffee~ =D

imp said...

jomel: must ask some friends to pass u some to try! next time i get for you k?

tuti: hehehehe. stick to water or tea then!

mochalatte: taste better than it smells i think.

MG said...

I must be immune to caffeine else I have tried a diluted version of viet coffee.

imp said...

MG: try again! it's super thick!