Monday, September 07, 2009

Cupcakes


The cupcake fad in Singapore has kinda come and gone. Last I know we're still into macarons. I wonder what's next.

But it seems as though The Cupcake Bakery is still going strong in downtown Sydney. So I hopped in for a cupcake.

And oh dear. The cupcake didn't blow my mind. As all cupcakes go, they looked pretty. But the ones I saw weren't striking in terms of design. But when I bit into it, it was too sweet and the texture was just not quite right. Too crumbly and not moist enough to make me go ahhhhh.

I've eaten other cupcakes baked by the friends that tasted way better. Their designs were superb too. Hmmm. As far as desserts go, generally, I'm really not impressed with Sydney's offerrings at the casual delis and swanky restaurants. We do have more than enough dessert selections to equal or better Sydney's, especially the home-bakers who sell stuff through their blogs or the personal friends who churn out great sweets. :)

Oh, I just had to say that while striding down George Street, I saw the Krispy Kreme store and shuddered. Of course I didn't want to buy any sort of doughnuts! Eiooow. Plus the shop was mostly empty each time I walk by. I think nobody really cares about doughnuts anymore. Except Singaporeans.

5 comments:

tuti said...

i love cupcakes. especially homemade ones. my office was once around the american school and this american lady brought a whole tray to the shop, not for us, but for the kid's birthday party. she gave each of us one. it was soooo delicious. i was too polite to ask her where she got them from. looked homemade, with all the gluey icing dripping all over. oooo so good. am i gushing or what.

Dawn said...

I never got Krispy Kremes. I couldn't even finish one - it was too rich and for me, that's saying a LOT.

Unknown said...

:( :( I detest their cupcakes too... I was like so anticipating in biting into one and going to heaven but all I get was bleah, ewww so sweet, yucks so dry n I spied many other cafes ard Oxford St... total disappointment :(

mochalatte said...

Yea~ homemade cupcakes or muffins taste much better den tos greasy arteries blockin donuts..haha..geez aniting dat got 2 do wif F&B 'trends' dun survive in SG..I wonder if SG ald lack of e 'creative' benchmark here.. o.O

imp said...

tuti: ooh. sounds like homemade goodness.

dawn: exactly! but i'm prejudiced against all doughnuts in general.

livia: maybe it's too much a a chain and quality just isn't there anymore.

mochalatte: hear hear! we've too many a population to sustain more dessert places i guess.