Monday, October 19, 2009

The Lunch At DOMVS, 18102009

The one thing I was terribly meticulous about, was the menu at The Lunch. I refused to feed my guests bad food. I rejected the first draft of the menu. It was rather decent, but I thought it too cheap and not up to my usual standards. So the restaurant increased the price of the menu, put out different ingredients and offered options for each course.

I didn't just make the chef think about complementing flavors. I bullied him and repeatedly went over the ingredients to extract his assurance to ensure that they were from sustainable sources.

It was rather strange that DOMVS didn't carry Krug. Oh well. I made do with Dom Pérignon and pointed to the vintage bottles to serve at lunch. Even though I'm not a wine drinker, I didn't think much of the selected red as it was too young. I liked the light sauvignon blanc which went down really well- 6 bottles were polished off, I believe. We also brought along bottles of single malt- Bowmore 21 y.o that would go beautifully with the food.

I also made sure the guests had 2 choices for each course, including dessert. The kitchen was more than capable of catering to the different selections. A third option of vegetarian was demanded as well because yours truly would be having that. I kinda made them put beetroot in my salad. The rest had a choice of either beef carpaccio in Parmesan cheese crust with rocket salad, smoked ricotta cheese and truffle essence or Tuscany style seafood soup.

The one thing that the man and I insisted on having in the menu was DOMVS' signature homemade basil spaghetti with clear tomato essence. Caviar was sprinkled on top for those not having the vegetarian option. We had a bit of tussle with the kitchen because we wanted the essence from ox heart tomatoes and not any other species. The kitchen said it would involved higher costs. I told them to put that on the tab. So that settled it.

It was of utmost importance to the man and I that the food served at our wedding was par excellence.