Monday, October 19, 2009

The Wedding Cake


I didn't bother with the fuss of having a wedding bouquet nor a cake. The girlfriend thought it most unseemly.

She had this idea of baking me a cake and merrily mused aloud how one could go about doing it. I balked at the sheer effort of a tiered cake. So I told her not to bother.

She turned up at the lunch with a huge cake box in tow. By golly, it was an incredibly pretty cake. It was totally made with love and each chocolate chip lovingly placed by using chopsticks. The girlfriend cut the sugar and used the best chocolate for this cake.

Although the restaurant had a policy of not allowing cakes from other places to be eaten on its premises (quite common now), they made an exception for us. But they must have been worried to death about it! Oh well. I had full confidence in the kitchen hygiene of the girlfriend.

I tell you, I'm in awe of all my girlfriends. They're all incredibly good bakers and cooks. Divine creations appear from their kitchens at the snap of a finger. It's pure magic.

So it came to pass that we had a fantastic chocolate cake for dessert. This was on top of the not-too-bad desserts on the menu of a choice of vanilla panna cotta with limoncello sauce or Gianduia chocolate parfait with Amarena cherry sauce.

Baked with love and tremendous effort, this cake, is one of the most fantastic wedding gifts to us, ever.