Monday, November 02, 2009

Goodbye Vientiane

Going through the thick file of papers was tedious. But the content was substantial and they kept me awake through the long drawn meetings. Plenty of patience, tact and equablility was needed.

I was quite nervous about this trip because I didn't know what to expect. Plus the big big boss was around. That scared me.

The big big boss left Lao PDR a day earlier. When we sent her off, she turned around, wagged her finger at us and grinned, "Don't be naughty." I almost fainted. The colleagues poked my ribs, "That line's for you!" Grrrrrr. Hello, she meant it for all of us okay!

When I flipped through my trusty notebook, I realized how far I've come in this job- from a blubbering novice to one who wouldn't be too flustered in the face of negotiations. Not an expert by any means, but a little wiser certainly. I guess the demands of the job have shaped a corner of my personality. I only hope that when I leave, my contributions would have been somewhat concrete.

Importantly, I'm grateful to these work trips which allow me to revive languishing personal side projects, actively and aggressively pursue these projects to fruition. So far, there hasn't been a conflict of interest at all. Perfect.

4 comments:

tuti said...

i am so awed by you. *gasp*

imp said...

tuti: don't be. i'm just like any other person.

kikare said...

Still using that notebook! Or is it just for photo sessions :D

imp said...

kikare: i ain't lugging a notebook just for photo sessions! no luggage space or weight! this pretty thing IS my travel notebook. it's sturdy (pages don't fall out), lightweight and good paper. i'm half way and a little more through it!