Friday, December 18, 2009

Calf Liver

One of those nights where we needed quick food, we went to Stef's. It's slightly better than our average Singapore cafe, but nowhere near the memorable quality of our fine dining Italian restaurants. Stef's like, Italian fast food.

Service was excellent and friendly. But the food...well, let's just say it isn't of the quality I'm used to. My carbonara was a mushy mess that was kinda devoid of any character. But that's not the point. The point of the evening is, besides his half decent seafood spaghetti, the man ate this disgusting calf liver with bacon. EIOOOW.

He made me try a tiny piece. And I gagged. Oh that smell!!! It was so strong! YUCKS. I can't imagine how he could finish the whole plate and grinned at me still. The calf liver was just pan-fried with a light brown sauce. There weren't any spices added. The signature smell of liver came right through.

While eating, the man mused about how he used to eat calf liver done the Chinese style in dark soya sauce, ginger and shallots. (Don't look at me. I know what ingredients go into cooking it. But I can't cook.) It sounds like how the Chinese cook pork liver too. Done in the Chinese style or add some pepper and chillies, pork/calf liver might taste marginally better as the spices mask the distinctive stink of innards.

No matter what the cooking style is, I don't think I want to eat it!

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Your man likes liver period. He's weird that way :)

kikare said...

I love pork liver the most. chicken liver also ok. but not very fond of ox liver. so i don't think i'll calf liver very nice either.

Having said that though, i think i'll get along with "the man" pretty well. On second thought, no, we'll fight over food!

Missy P said...

Innards...either you love them or hate them :)

imp said...

dawn: he eats ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. except bugs, maybe.

kikare: calf liver smells way stronger than pork liver. u won't fight over food. both your eyes will be greater than your stomachs and u'll have plenty of food to go around!

MissyP: i don't mind pig stomach. thin slivers of them in chilli and dark sauce, or pig stomach soup. :) ONLY. nothing else. Heh.

tuti said...

hahahha. you made me laugh about the man ..."he eats ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. except bugs, maybe."
*roll floor laughing..*
you are so mean, imp. :PPPP

Missy P said...

Pig stomach soup...yum,I miss my granny's Hakka version...hers was really clean tasting wth no smell...then again its home cooked

imp said...

tuti: he does eat EVERYTHING!

missyP: homecooked food's always the best!