Saturday, June 12, 2010

Dim Sum (點心)

I suppose the thing to do would be to go out to have dim sum on the weekends. I'm not hot about it. But I'm a tad curious about the entire dim sum concept and culture. So we accepted the invitation and went to Che's Cantonese Restaurant (車氏粵菜軒) along Lockhart Road in Wan Chai (灣仔). Apparently, this is one of the very reputable dim sum places that locals frequent too.

Eating on a table of 7 was a great idea because there were plenty of dishes on the table for everyone, but I wouldn't need to justify which to eat. Even though there're very limited things I could eat at dim sum, I appreciated the generous invitation tbecause it meant taking another look at the island through the many sets of eyes, of people working and living in this vibrant city. The dynamics are almost amusing.

I made sure that there was always a piece of food in the chopsticks, deftly avoided all that the tastebuds didn't take to and ate only the stuff that I liked. The prawns in the dumplings were crunchy with thin skin that didn't taste thick with flour. In fact, all the items which required wrapping in some sort of flour, tasted great. The century egg porridge was beautiful. I was very sure that the porridge was pre-cooked before throwing in the ingredients for the customers' orders later because even though there were slices of pork in there, it didn't carry a distinctive stink.

I didn't know the names of half the items ordered. But from whatever I tasted, it was safe to surmise that the food in this restaurant was very good. Not delicate by any means, but so tasty. There was a fair number of dishes ordered. After all that, the bill was just HKD200 per pax. I can't help but be constantly surprised by how relatively inexpensive a good meal can be in this city. No wonder people say to throw a stone in Hong Kong and the chance of hitting a good eatery is almost 100%.

4 comments:

Jo said...

our dim sum for two (the one I pointed out to you earlier) cost hkd130.. a very good deal!!

imp said...

jomel: darn. must be because it's away from the city, so it's cheaper. i must go further next time. your food looks fab lor. pity we can't do dim sum again tmrw before we fly home!

lilsnooze said...

Hmm,with my dietary preferences nowadays, I need to learn from you how to avoid eating certain foods without being queried!

imp said...

lilsnooze: just say no! now that we're older, it's easier to state preferences without seeming like a poser.