Sunday, June 13, 2010

Walking Into The Central Library


Just across the other side of Victoria Park stood the Central Library. The girlfriends and I chatted about the architecture of the building and how the people felt about the building that seemed to be a little confused about the theme for the external facade.

I wasn't about to pass by the building without stepping in. I was quite curious about the collection in the reference section and would have loved to pop up and stay for a while to flip books for an hour or two. Unfortunately, we had things to do and didn't have that luxury of time.

I was ignorant about the reason for the outdoor lifts (which didn't seem practical to me) till the girlfriend pointed out that these lifts were built to ease the passage for the elderly and the disabled to get across to the other side. Ahh. For some strange reasons, the museums weren't on the to-do list. I like museums. Whether the museums are worth a visit, let me be the judge of that. However, small, I can't quite diss all museums, unless they happen to be a shrine.

At least the girlfriends indulged me and walked into the Central Library to feel the vibes and see the kids study. I guess not many tourists venture in. I must return to sit at its reference section. It's especially intriguing to me because the home system has a strong focus on English. It'd be very educational to look at another city's system that is predominantly in Chinese.

No comments: