Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Being Friendly


You know I'm not the most sociable person. But on this trip, I must be, or at least come across as warm, engaging and friendly because I reflect my job. My opinions aren't necessarily mine. Words said are meant to be for common interest and in line with standard protocol. But the familiar faces in the meeting room also mean that I can smile alot more than usual.

I appreciate the relationships and links built up through the recent years. I'd have loved to nurture them a little more and see where they go. Any new partnership we crave isn't going to happen overnight or even in a matter of a year or two. It's based on trust, interpersonal relations and how comfortable we are in picking up the phone to speak with each other. I'm a little wistful at not being able to push through the completion of many exciting projects. Oh well. The cycle of work drones churns. It doesn't matter who the human is, so long there is a human.

I haven't gone out much. Not exactly hitting up cabin fever yet. I do have a rather noisy bear to talk to. :p I'm a hurry to churn out my notes, file them and do some housekeeping on the laptop. Not very inclined to go out for a bit of a stroll. Our hosts have arranged lunches and dinners which means that I'm mostly stuck within a building. Fine by me. I'm not hot about sneaking out at night in Vientiane where its bars about women are not for women.

2 comments:

tuti said...

noisy bear? i guess he has plenty on his mind. lol.
there is much you're going to miss about this job. i think you're feeling it already. still, life moves on. i know you'll handle it well.

imp said...

tuti: I'm enjoying every minute of the countdown!