Monday, September 20, 2010

Farewell, Boss


We had our 'Moving Out Party' for the boss outside of the office premises. He kinda didn't know it and was properly surprised because we conspired with his wife to organize the details, right down to scheming to occupy his calendar and making sure he turned up right where and when he was supposed to.

The catered food items were all his usual loves of chicken wings, siew mai, har kow, ngoh hiang and the assorted favorites. There was also a chocolate-banana cake from his favorite pastry shop, because it would be the last birthday we would celebrate together as a team. There were presents, hand-written notes and plenty of photos. There was some video thingy- but because it was made by boys, it wasn't that touching. :p It was very meet-KPI-sort-of-factual. Hahah.

A colleague commented that he thought some of us (me included) would cry at this farewell party. EH? Why would we do that? Crazy ah?! The crying's already been done. The shock and dust have settled. Que sera sera. We've all moved on! Duhhh.

For me, it's a farewell to everyone as well. Personally, I don't like this sort of parties and I deathly hope that my team won't do this for me. If they want to buy me something, a card will suffice. I'd rather they donate the budget to a charitable organization or a cause of their choice- that will be my best gift. My leaving isn't a big deal. I just want to quietly slip away into the night.

Like I've been saying, it has been a good run. I'll leave with fond memories, gratitude and happiness. What's not to like about it? I guess this is it. As I move into a very busy October, my countdown has officially begun.

9 comments:

eveeleva said...

CHEY! Who'd throw you a surprise farewell party??????

We'd rather quietly open a bottle of fine whisky and make you chug it alllllllll dooooown!!!!

*chuckle*

Jo said...

*LOL at above comment*

Your boss must have been majorly moved.

That cake looks like it's from Secret Recipe.. eh... do you have Secret Recipe in Sgp?

imp said...

eveeleva: WHAT! Chug down fine whisky?! No way! I'll sip it! Heh.

jomel: YOU ARE GOOD. It's so random and of all the cakes, yes, you guessed it, it's a Secret Recipe cake. He loves it. We have a couple of outlets in Singapore at nearly double the prices in Msia and Jakarta.

Jo said...

When I first arrived in KL in 1998, Secret Recipe was rather new and was all the rage. Their cakes were really good. They have mushroomed everywhere since, and sadly, they are just not as good as I remembered them to be. Still, the chocolate banana is still one of my favourites among the selection. I find their cheesecakes sorely disappointing. Goodness, it's double the price for you in Sgp!? I've found a neighbourhood cake shop here that sells so much better tasting cakes at almost half the price. :)

imp said...

jomel: hmmm....we've many many other options for chocolate cake here at about the same price. nothing cheaper, sadly.

Dawn said...

Enjoy your last few months Impy - and then the next stage of your life :)

imp said...

dawn: i will. i do. i am.

sinlady said...

your staff/team/colleagues sure throw your surprise farewell party so grin and act surprised, k? haha

imp said...

sinlady: they won't. they know the effort won't be appreciated that much. unless it's for them, then okay. Heeeee.