Saturday, February 19, 2011

Good Morning Melbourne


Traded in the winter wool for summer cotton and light cardigans. Out went the red, grey and black. Into the suitcase went the beige, white and browns. I've hopped from a Mandarin-speaking city into an English-speaking city and from tail of winter into the end of summer.

Packing for winter was easy. I just lugged the whole suitcase of dry-cleaned stuff along with 2 pairs of warm boots for stomping all over the city for 2 weeks. I've only got that many winter clothing. Choosing clothes for summer is tough. I'm very used to living in the tropics with fierce indoor air-conditining. I brought 4 pairs of shoes. Go figure.

I was so disappointed that the crappy plane with the lousy Krisworld on the way home from Shanghai didn't offer 'The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest'. The option was available on the way up earlier, but I chose sleep, thinking that I could watch it on the way back. So the first thing I did after settling into the seat on the midnight flight to Melbourne was to find out if the film was showing. It was! PHEWWWW. I'd really loathe to have missed it. It completes the series.

Melbourne greeted us with bright and sunny skies. Windy at a lovely 22°C. Can't say I miss Shanghai's grey and dreary cold! Already, the flat whites are fabulous. I don't have a fixed itinerary. This is a city where we've plenty of friends, separately. Lots of catching up to do as well. I suppose we'll take a drive out to the wine yards next week. Our zippy little car will take us around, but I will have to do all the navigation. I don't trust the GPS or GoogleMaps. I'm grabbing a hard copy of the city map to stare at it and 'feel' the roads. The man cannot be left alone with the GPS.

9 comments:

sinlady said...

enjoy melbourne ! :)

kikare said...

How do you feel about the films? Do you plan to read the books as well?

tuti said...

i like how you look!!

Dawn said...

You don't trust Google Maps??? It's generally been pretty good though I second not leaving the Man alone with the GPS.

Jo said...

lucky, lucky gal! Have an enjoyable time there. ;)

Jo said...

LOL! I read your tweets about the Man and his GPS. Hilarious!! :D

imp said...

sinlady: I am!

Kikare: I like the these films over the Hollywood version. I finished the books already and I don't mind both film n books. I thought they've been done quite well. Of course the books have more details n a pity I can't read Swedish coz the Eng translation is a little stilted at some points.

Dawn: googlemaps work alright. But both failed us last night n the hard copy map made it.

Jomel: it induces a lot of eye rolling n giggles.

Dawn said...

Hardcopy maps ARE always the best.

imp said...

dawn: yes! an updated version. for sure.