Saturday, July 16, 2011

Chwee Kueh Chwee Kueh I Love You


[After the renovation of the Bedok food center in 2016, the chwee kueh kinda sucks now. The topping and chilli tasted so different.]

The puny sticks provided by most chwee kueh stalls are simply impossible to be of any real use. Each time I stab at the food, it runs away. Or perhaps I should say that my 'chopsticks skills' aren't good enough to pick up slippery steamed rice cake and the tiny pieces of preserved radish.

Now, aside from the chwee kueh, people usually order other food items, resulting in practical cutlery that comes along with them. So a proper spoon and fork could be utilized for the chwee kueh as well. However, when I come to the sprawling food centre next to the Bedok Bus Interchange and MRT station, I only eat the chwee kueh and nothing else. It's a meal for me. 6 to 10 pieces provide enough carbs and calories at either lunch or dinner. Having had enough of being frustrated by teeny sticks, I've started to bring my cutlery here. The usual silverware if I'm not heading out elsewhere after. Disposables will have to do for the other times.

It's very odd that I keep coming back here for its chwee kueh. It's almost like an obsession. Some will rave about how tender the steamed rice cake is.....okay....but I don't really care about that. Somehow, to the tastebuds, no other stalls can replicate the Bedok stall's peculiar mix of flavors in the preserved radish and spiciness of the chilli. It's just...special.

On a cool rainy day, I merrily took a long bus ride across the island to the east just to satisfy a craving. The girlfriend indulged me and sat down for an over-salted lunch of the familiar taste of preserved radish and chilli. Me likey.

8 comments:

red fir said...

Chwee kueh must be eaten with those 2 puny sticks for that chwee kueh feel keke. Woa... 6-10 pcs. Me likey chwee kueh too but I start to feel a wee bit sickened after 4 pcs. It's oily but the oil makes them all that delicious. I like the TB and Ghim moh ones. Haiya, now I feel like eating chwee kueh too! Breakfast tomorrow. (:

imp said...

ice: sunday! did you get to have it today at breakfast?

sinlady said...

chwee kueh i can take it or leave it :(

Anonymous said...

i just want to say....Chwee Kueh Chwee Kueh I Love You Too. *sigh*

red fir said...

Yes imp! Got my chwee kueh from Ghim Moh this morning. Not my favorite but it did manage to placate that chwee kueh craving. (:

Not sure if this is good news or bad, but have you heard Garrett popcorn has opened/ is opening an outlet outside Liat Towers? They're invading Singapore!

imp said...

thepleasuremonger: make some???

ice: yup. Saw the boarding last week. and strangely, my liking for it has dissipated overnight. Heheh. They've made it so accessible that it's not fun anymore.

imp said...

Sinlady: it's oily!

jooo said...

The imp's love for chwee kueh never fails to amaze me.. :) I haven't had these in years!! Good chwee kueh's hard to find, plus the oiliness makes me feel sick after a while :p