Sunday, July 24, 2011

Littered With Books


While I still browse at Kinokuniya for its wide range of titles, I buy less from them and more from an independent bookshop just because the latter is prettier and I'm more inclined to spend time there, linger and soak in the literary vibes.

If the independent bookstores don't carry the titles I want, I use Book Depository and often, I turn to Amazon for e-books. But I still can't quash the need for instant gratification by buying books here and NOW! I can't get rid of the habit of buying books weekly.

Part of the afternoon with the friends was spent at Littered with Books. Lovely. This is what a bookshop should feel like. Surrounded by books and cosy colors, it's so inviting to just thumb through the pages of books that caught my eye. Wondering about the contents and how it would feel to read it and the sort of thoughts and emotions it would evoke, is just awesome.

This bookshops carries a small but pretty alright selection of children's books along with some beautiful illustrations by a number of talented illustrators. I'm not too sure about pricing though. Some friends have commented on the higher-than-average pricing. But for the non-children books, I'm okay with the stated prices. It's not a significant difference. Should they charge a little higher, I'm more than happy to pay because it means the business could sustain in the long-term. I just don't like contributing to the faceless chain stores for mega profits.

Today, I walked into the bookshop in anticipation of the titles that might interest the mind, and I strolled out a very happy customer with 2 paperbacks. Hey, at least I didn't buy the other 3 that were really fairly intriguing. Maybe next week. :D

PS: Is there something about books and cats? Of late, they seem to go hand in hand.

8 comments:

lilsnooze said...

I love the feel of Littered with Books too.
There's just something different about being surrounded by new books and looking at the covers and reading the synopsis.

Though, I prefer e-bks for reading now. It's easier for me to bring around & read.

coboypb said...

The place looks lovely. Are there cats as I notice cat cartoon on the blackboard and the shop name logo?

Alicia said...

You can try acmamall.com to buy books and cosmetics online as well. I buy my cosmetics through them and shipping is free.

sinlady said...

i love the place already :)

imp said...

lilsnooze: e-books are super convenient for vacations and work trips. totally.

coboypb: there're no cats at the shop. i didn't see any. so perhaps the owners have cats at home...

alicia: thanks. i'll check them out for books for sure. not cosmetics. i don't buy cosmetics online at all.

sinlady: it's quite cool.

imp said...

lilsnooze: e-books are super convenient for vacations and work trips. totally.

coboypb: there're no cats at the shop. i didn't see any. so perhaps the owners have cats at home...

alicia: thanks. i've seen the site previously and still prefer the options at Book Depository and Amazon. i don't buy cosmetics online at all.

sinlady: it's quite cool.

bookjunkie said...

never been here but it looks like a place I would absolutely love. A bookstore is my fave place to venture and I always wish that I could own one. It's my fave fantasy! If I ever hit the lottery or something..problem is I never buy tickets.

imp said...

bookjunkie: stroll in and take a look. i don't ever buy the lottery either. i never am lucky in any sort of lucky draws!