Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Nasi Lemak


After an impromptu bloody early morning run with the girlfriend and her 2 very fit dogs, of which I nearly died of exhaustion at the 5km completion point, it was off to Tekka Market for breakfast. My stomach actually growled. I'm NEVER running 5km EVER AGAIN. Sticking to 3km ALWAYS, if I absolutely have to.

We met with the other girlfriends who also decided to schedule their weekly grocery trip today. Naturally I'm the only one who doesn't need to buy groceries unless the man tasks me to grab some stuff. I just tag along for the company and the food. And today, I'm ravenous. Obviously.

The girlfriends eat either before or after their grocery shopping, depending on the mood. We love the awesome food at the food centre. Biryani, naan, thosai, curries, murtabak, appam, whatever spicy! Yummy. Sometimes we tapau the food to someone's home; if it isn't too crowded or stifling hot, we eat at the food centre. Today we opted to eat at Tekka Market after packing in the vegetables, meats and whatnots into the shopping trolleys. A rainy morning it was. Almost cool, with a breeze.

I like this little nasi lemak stall. I can never remember the name, but they do tasty dishes. Traditional flavors abound. I like mine simple- just fish, egg, begedil, anchovies and a slightly sweet-ish sambal. I always ask the the smiley husband-and-wife stall owners to halve my rice, and they never do! I can't finish it, and the Uncle keeps telling me to finish my food. Grrrrrr. Today, they still refused to give me just a small scoop of rice. They whacked on the usual 3 scoops. But...I finished everything. The Uncle took one look at my rather clean plate, "Wah. You very hungry today izzit?" I gave him a cheerful grin. Yah lor, ah-but-then.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last thing I needed this morning was to read this post of yours! :p I sure wouldn't mind a big plate of nasi lemak for breakfast! Instead I have ro be content with toast and tea.

imp said...

olduvai: Here, I give you scones in my next post. :P

sinlady said...

i can only think of tekka market as hot. so hot it feels like a damp cloth clamped over my nose that i gasp with every breath :(

ta pau it has to be for me...

imp said...

sinlady: don't sit there. tapau! for us, we turn up in dri-fit to sweat it out!