Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Oh Rock Oolong, I've Missed You

Since I embarked on my tea journey, this is the first long stretch that I've gone without my usual favorites. I drank A LOT of green tea in Seoul, and learnt much. That was great, but it wasn't exactly satisfying. I prefer heavier teas over green teas any day. Surprise surprise, not. I actually miss having a thick brew of something in Seoul. I was this close to walking into a teashop that sells Chinese tea to ask for a pot of pu'er even.

I know a couple of friends who bring along packs of tea on their trips. Some even take a '盖碗' along, like seriously. Not going to do that. I can buy a damn teacup if I really want to. But the tea, I'll consider taking a pack along next time, especially if I'm so picky about the quality of the tea leaves, and the tea I want isn't available in said city.

First thing I got in wasn't to head to a coffee joint. (Clearly it wasn't necessary for a dram of whisky either) It was to well...eat, and rummage through the tea packs, picked out a heavy tea with oomph, sat down and stretched the scoop of tea leaves for 8 steaming brews of Rock Oolong (岩茶-水金龟). Ahhhh...utterly divine. Yes, I love this tea this much. :)

Saw so many pretty things in Seoul till I didn't want any more pretty things, not even to set them up for a tea table. If I'm to buy pots and cups and whatnots, I need them to be in something monochrome and not fancy. I'll probably tire of them rather quickly. Brewed the tea with the most boring of vessels ever. They only had to be utilitarian and pleasing. Of course by now, it's possible for me to sort out a cup of tea properly without spilling water all over the table. Didn't share the tea with anyone. Drank it all by myself.

No comments: