Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Remembering Guangdong Oolongs


Reminding myself how the Guangdong single bush (广东单丛) oolongs taste like. Over these few days, I begin brewing all over again the various floral flavors of this incredibly fragant and refined oolong, committing them to memory. I do like it, except it's not exactly my favorite sort since I prefer a slightly heavier oomph to my tea. Still, it's a superb tea for most drinkers and all occasions.

The preferences for the set-up for tea have been going simpler and simpler. I like it fuss-free, and minimalistic. The less color schemes dot the table, the better. Plain and boring. It's getting to be pretty much how I like to be dressed in black all the time. Heh. The pops of colors are most likely to appear on the teacups, which are often adorned with flowers, dragonflies, leaves or fish. Sometimes, while I prefer the plain bowls that are in graduated shades of blue, grey and brown, they might not be ideal vessels to hold a particular tea.

I've sampled Taiwanese oolongs to the hilt. Different varieties, grades, etc. While the tasting is not extensive, at least I know slightly more about it than the floundering about before the trip. At least I can be well positioned to make a good comparison of oolongs across the species, or perhaps none at all, since they should be judged for their own merit, based on account of different soil, terrain, and climate. No, I'm not making any political statements here.

No comments: